Lucas Ríos Giordano, Ronen Sigall
Nabih Youssef and Associates, Structural Engineer
Charles Tan + Associates, Structural Engineer
Amos Slutzky, Electrical Engineer
Eddick Abramian, Mechanical and Plumbing
Los Angeles, California
This project was developed under the adaptive reuse ordinance of the city of Los Angeles, a program designed to promote the revitalization of downtown Los Angeles by converting old office and industrial buildings into apartments, lofts and condominiums. The original building, a twelve-story high-rise in the jewelry district, was built in 1915. It was remodeled in the '70's, but then sat empty for nearly thirty years. The converted building, now fully occupied, contains sixty-eight units ranging from studios of 800 square feet to larger units of approximately 1,500 square feet.
Working closely with the developer and the construction team, we had a particularly fluid design process which enabled us to take advantage of unexpected finds. On some floors, for instance, we found remnants of beautiful old wood and bronze-work from the original building and we worked to integrate these and other elements into the new building. Unit walls occasionally zigzag to accommodate window modulation or new electrical or mechanical shafts, resulting in spaces that are rich with unexpected moments, accidents that are reinforced by the effects of light.
The top floor of the building is an 8,000 square-foot penthouse. It has a solarium and a rooftop that the owner rents for parties, film shoots and fashion shows. At nighttime, the building becomes a beacon in the downtown area by means of a playful arrangement of color LED’s on the facades of the building that face Broadway and Seventh Street.